Students Returning After Health Event *
*(Includes surgery, hospitalization (medical/behavioral), wheelchair, casts or orthopedic devices)
Health Services strives to provide a safe environment, including risk reduction for students. Cases are handled on an individual basis depending on the type of injury, age and maturity of the student.
- Parents are advised to contact the school Health Office in advance if their child has a condition that will affect mobility, the ability to navigate the school campus safely or require additional health office assistance.
- The nurse is the primary contact for coordinating care with the principal, school personnel, student, and parents.
- The Health Assistant at the elementary school will contact the Health Service Facilitator or nurse for all student health concerns.
- Students unable to bear weight require written medical clearance. The clearance should include:
- prognosis and restrictions
- precautions and weight bearing status
- Pre-planning student’s return to school with parents:
- Ask when the student will be returning to school
- The RN will request a written medical clearance from the physician
- The RN will review limitations and/or restrictions such as following:
- Weight bearing
- P.E. participation
- Elevation of extremity
- Maximum weight to be carried by student regarding books or backpack
- Recess time
- Endurance limitations
- Certain conditions may require an RN to evaluate the student before re-entry to school.
- Environmental obstacles (steps, ramps, hallways, etc.)
- Assistance at the cafeteria
- Assistance with books/book bag
- Access to classrooms and other areas on campus
- Safety checks for wheelchairs (brakes, seatbelt, footrest, elevating leg rests, anti-tippers)
- Assistance with bathroom needs
- Mode of transportation to and from school
- Students with crutches/wheelchair are not permitted on regular buses or to sit along sidelines.
- Plan Alternative Activities
- Student may be accompanied by 1 or 2 friends for assistance and play.
- Students are not permitted to transport other students in their wheelchair while on campus.
- Adult supervision is required Field trip considerations Fire drill plans