Participation in After-School Activities
- The student must be in attendance for at least half of his/her scheduled classes to be allowed to practice. On the day of a contest or activity, or the day before any contest or activity held on Saturday or holiday, the student must be in attendance for all his/her scheduled classes. Extenuating circumstances must be approved by the Athletic Director and Principal.
- Any student who is restricted and/or suspended off campus, may not participate in any after-school activities during that term.
- A healthy athlete should refrain from the use of alcohol, tobacco products, steroids, or illicit drugs.
Violations of rules prohibiting the use of illicit drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, and steroids during school time or in school related activities will be referred to the Associate Principal’s office for appropriate disciplinary measures. The Marana Unified School District Discipline MATRIX will be enforced as with the Code of Conduct each athlete signs.
In addition to the disciplinary actions prescribed by the MATRIX, the following guidelines will be used for participants in athletics:
If a student-athlete has a major violation of the Comprehensive Discipline Matrix the following discipline will be in place:
- First Offense: Suspension from 20% of all scheduled contests in which they are eligible to participate. This could carry over into the following season of participation.
- Second Offense: Suspension from 50% of all scheduled contests in which they are eligible to participate. This could carry over into the following season of participation.
- Third Offense: Suspension from athletics for one rolling calendar year from the date of the third offense. (This will be continuous for the academic school year i.e. Football 1st offense, 2nd offense basketball, 3rd basketball = suspended for the year)
- Any student with a second alcohol or drug violation may also face expulsion from MUSD per the Marana Unified School District Governing Board Policy Manual.