Rights & Responsibilities
The following is a very short summary of your parental rights. For a complete copy, please contact the Special Education Office at (520) 682-4782 or contact your child’s school. You may also download the Procedural Safeguards Notice provided below.
Summary of Rights
- Right to informed consent on evaluations and placement
- Right to be involved in all decision making
- Right to have copies or examine records
- Right to obtain an independent evaluation
- Right to prior written notice
- Right to due process
- Right to appeal decisions
- Right to ‘Stay Put’ in child’s current placement
- Right to information on discipline procedures
- Right to voluntary mediation
- Right to notification of assigned surrogate parent
- Right to information on transfer of rights at age 18
- Responsibility to notify school of private placement
Permission to Evaluate
If an evaluation of your child is necessary, you will be asked to sign a Permission to Evaluate form.
During an evaluation, various testing and evaluation techniques will be used. All results will be shared with you at a meeting called a Multi-Disciplinary Conference (MDC). At that time, if there is enough information, your child may be diagnosed with a disability. Your input will also be welcome at that time.
Procedural Safeguards Notice
To help you better understand Parents’ Rights under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, please review the PROCEDURAL SAFEGUARDS NOTICE FOR THE STATE OF ARIZONA https://cms.azed.gov/home/GetDocumentFile?id=54e3b6e7aadebe0f1845df44 .
For additional questions, please contact the Exceptional Student Services Department.