Rights & Responsibilities
The following is a very short summary of your parental rights. For a complete copy, please contact the Special Education Office at (520) 682-4782 or contact your child’s school. You may also download the Procedural Safeguards Notice provided below.
Summary of Rights
- Right to informed consent on evaluations and placement
- Right to be involved in all decision making
- Right to have copies or examine records
- Right to obtain an independent evaluation
- Right to prior written notice
- Right to due process
- Right to appeal decisions
- Right to ‘Stay Put’ in child’s current placement
- Right to information on discipline procedures
- Right to voluntary mediation
- Right to notification of assigned surrogate parent
- Right to information on transfer of rights at age 18
- Responsibility to notify school of private placement
Permission to Evaluate
If an evaluation of your child is necessary, you will be asked to sign a Permission to Evaluate form.
During an evaluation, various testing and evaluation techniques will be used. All results will be shared with you at a meeting called a Multi-Disciplinary Conference (MDC). At that time, if there is enough information, your child may be diagnosed with a disability. Your input will also be welcome at that time.