How To Talk To Your Teen About Vaping
Marana schools encourage parents to speak with their child about the dangers and consequences of e-cigarettes and appreciate parent efforts in supporting school rules and policies.
Know the facts.
- Research vaping online from credible sources.
- Become familiar with the latest terminology.
Be patient and ready to listen.
- Avoid criticism and encourage dialogue.
- The goal is to have a conversation, not deliver a lecture.
- It is ok to have conversations over time, in bits and pieces.
Find the right moment. A more natural discussion will increase the likelihood that your teen will listen. Bring up the topic when:
- Someone who is vaping nearby.
- You pass an e-cigarette store or retail display.
- See or hear an e-cigarette advertisement.
- In addition to providing clear, accurate information, ask your child questions such as “what do you know about electronic cigarettes?” Encourage them to do their own research.
- If your child does vape, ask them the reasons they do it. Many kids say they do it for entertainment and because it’s fun. If this is the case, ask your child “what else can you do for fun?,” “what did you do for fun before you started vaping?,” “why do substances now seem necessary?”
Set a positive example by being tobacco-free.
- If you use tobacco, it is never too late to quit.