Meet Your Counselors
Time of Service
- Contract is generally for 4 or 6 years depending on the job. (active duty)
- 2-4 years if inactive duty
- After contract is complete, military personnel may be on inactive duty status for 2-4 years depending on initial contract. This is to keep enough military personnel on hand if US should go to war or there is a national crisis. Individuals are considered civilians and do not report.
Minimum Education Requirements
- Minimum of a high school diploma. There are limited vacancies for persons who hold a GED but it depends on the branch. Students must get a 50 on the ASVAB if they have a GED.The military really stresses graduating with a high school diploma.
- ASVAB score of 34+
- Pass bootcamp/military schools
- Pass background/criminal check. Will make some allowances for felonies but it depends on the branch.
- (Single) Live on post/base in dorms. FREE Rent & Utilities
- Single rooms and may share a bathroom
- Married/Dependents will receive a housing allowing $1300-2400
- $4500 of educational tuition assistance while in the service
- GI Bill after serving-FREE college or reduced tuition
- GI Loan-0% interest on purchase of a home
- Grants/low interest loans to start a business.
- Medical/Life Insurance/Dental/Eye for self and dependents.
- Move every 3 years
- Can be deployed for multiple tours
- Cannot pursue college or certification trainings for the first year of enlistment.
- May take a long time to earn degree. Part-time student
- May use GI Bill for dependents