There are occasions when Marana Unified School District (“the District”) invites the media, including television and/or newspaper reporters, to cover a particular school project, activity, or other event (hereafter referred to as a “District-initiated media event”). A Media Release form may be submitted to parent/guardians for signature and date. The purpose of this Media Release Form is to request your permission, in advance, to allow information about your son/daughter and/or your son’s/daughter’s school work or academic or athletic achievements to be published or broadcast in upcoming District-initiated media events. A publication or broadcast that occurs in connection with a District-initiated media event may include some of or all of the following:
- a photograph or video of a student,
- the student’s first and last name, age, grade level, teacher, coach’s or sponsor’s name,
- the name of the school the student attends,
- and information about the student’s school work, activities or achievements.
Student grades, home addresses and personal telephone numbers will not be released in connection with a District-initiated media event.
Note: The following events, activities, and situations are not covered by this Media Release Form and media coverage may occur in such situations in the absence of parental permission:
- Media coverage that is not District-initiated.
- Media coverage, whether or not District initiated, where the event or activity is open to the public such as sporting events, fine arts performances, graduation ceremonies, and similar events and activities.
- The portion of any District-initiated media coverage that involves a photograph or video where students are only part of a crowd or are in the background and such students are not otherwise identified.