Letter to Parents/Guardians: Consideration of closing Thornydale Elementary
March 2, 2018
To Thornydale Parents and Guardians:
Over the past several years, the Marana district has closely monitored student enrollment numbers at Thornydale Elementary School. A school built in 1974, with a historical high enrollment has steadily declined the past eight years to an enrollment of approximately 300. As state budgets have also steadily declined and costs associated with building maintenance and utilities have continued to increase, school enrollment is vitally important to the sustainability of a school.
To ensure the highest quality education, school sustainability, and fiscal responsibility of the resources entrusted to us by our taxpayers, the Marana district is considering the closure of Thornydale Elementary, effective June 2019.
Parents and community are invited to attend a Marana Unified School District Governing Board Public Meeting on Tuesday, March 27, 2018. At this public meeting, in accordance with A.R.S. §15-341(A)(32), the school district Governing Board shall hear reasons for or against the closure of Thornydale Elementary School. The meeting will be held at 6:00pm at Thornydale Elementary School Cafeteria located at 7651 N. Old Father Drive, Tucson, AZ 85741.
Please know that the Governing Board takes this discussion very seriously and encourages parents, staff, and community to share their thoughts. If you are unable to attend the Governing Board Public Meeting, information can be shared with the Governing Board utilizing our “Let’s Talk” 24/7 communication tool, or by providing a written statement to the school principal, or by emailing the Governing Board.
On Thursday, April 12, 2018, the school district Governing Board may vote on this matter during their regularly scheduled Public Meeting at 7:00pm. The meeting will be held at the Marana Municipal Complex, located at 11555 W. Civic Drive in Marana, Arizona.
- Transportation for Thornydale students will be provided to either of these schools.
- Parents may also choose to open enroll to another Marana school in accordance with policy, including the K-8 CSTEM school (SY2019-2020) in the Dove Mountain community.
- Please know that it is anticipated that all Thornydale teachers, staff, and administrators will have a position within the District due to attrition at other school sites as well as the opening of the K-8 school in Dove Mountain.
Both Quail Run and Butterfield provide a wide variety of academic and extra-curricular activities including:
- 21st century learning environments offering student mobile devices and new collaborative furniture
- STEM and Computer Science
- After-School Activities
- Gifted Academics
- Special Education
- 21st Century Community Learning Center
- Media Centers and Health Services
- Fine Arts, Music, and Physical Education
- Extended Learning: Before and After-School Program
- Parent Teacher Organization
- Free/Reduced Lunch Program
- Additional information about these schools can be found by visiting their Website:
I hope you have the opportunity to attend the Public Meeting or to share your thoughts using one of our communication tools. I also want to thank you for your continued support of the Marana district, and for your understanding regarding our duties and responsibilities to ensure the best educational environment for all students and staff in the District.
Doug Wilson, Ed.D.