Public Meetings: Considering the closure of Thornydale Elementary School
To ensure the highest quality education, school sustainability, and fiscal responsibility of the resources entrusted to the District by taxpayers, the Governing Board of the Marana Unified School District is considering the closure of Thornydale Elementary School, effective June 2019.
Over the past several years, the Marana district has closely monitored student enrollment numbers at Thornydale Elementary School. A school built in 1974, with a historical high enrollment has steadily declined the past eight years to an enrollment of approximately 300. As state budgets have also steadily declined and costs associated with building maintenance and utilities have continued to increase, school enrollment is vitally important to the sustainability of a school.
The Governing Board of the Marana Unified School District will conduct a Public Meeting on Tuesday, March 27, 2018. At this public meeting, in accordance with A.R.S. §15-341(A)(32), the school district Governing Board shall hear reasons for or against the closure of Thornydale Elementary School. The meeting will be held at 6:00pm at Thornydale Elementary School Cafeteria located at 7651 N. Old Father Drive, Tucson, AZ 85741.
Please know that the Governing Board takes this discussion very seriously and encourages parents, staff, and community to share their thoughts. If unable to attend the Governing Board Public Meeting, information can be shared with the Governing Board utilizing the District’s “Let’s Talk” 24/7 communication tool, or by providing a written statement to the school principal, or by emailing the Board.
On Thursday, April 12, 2018, the school district Governing Board may vote on this matter during their regularly scheduled Public Meeting at 7:00pm. The meeting will be held at the Marana Municipal Complex, located at 11555 W. Civic Drive in Marana, Arizona.
- Transportation for Thornydale students will be provided to either of these schools.
- Parents may also choose to open enroll to another Marana school in accordance with policy.
- It is anticipated that all Thornydale teachers, staff, and administrators will continue to have a position within the District due to attrition at other school sites as well as the opening of the K-8 school in Dove Mountain.
Both Quail Run and Butterfield provide a wide variety of academic and extra-curricular activities including:
- 21st century learning environments offering student mobile devices and new collaborative furniture
- STEM and Computer Science
- After-School Activities
- Gifted Academics
- Special Education
- 21st Century Community Learning Center
- Media Centers and Health Services
- Fine Arts, Music, and Physical Education
- Extended Learning: Before and After-School Program
- Parent Teacher Organization
- Free/Reduced Lunch Program