- Marana Unified School District
PBIS: Spring 2023 End of Year Report
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports is an evidence-based framework affecting positive student outcomes using data and best practices that support optimal personal development.
This spring report includes information about the PBIS framework, a description of tier 1-3 supports, and a snapshot of how MUSD schools are doing.
Tier 1 Supports:
According to the Center on PBIS, Tier 1 systems, data, and practices support everyone across all settings. They establish the foundation for delivering regular, proactive support and preventing unwanted behaviors. Tier 1 emphasizes:
- Acknowledging positive social, emotional, and behavioral skills
Teams, data, consistent policies, professional development, and evaluation are essential components for these practices to work effectively.
Do you know your child’s school-wide PBIS expectations? If not, be sure to ask!
Tier 2 Supports:
Tier 2 practices and systems provide targeted support for students who are not successful with Tier 1 supports alone. The focus is on supporting students who are at risk for developing more serious problem behavior before they start.
Tier 2 practices start with a strong Tier 1 foundation. In addition to students receiving Tier 1 practices, students in need of Tier 2 practices may receive one or more of the following:
- Increased Instruction and Practice with Self-Regulation & Social Skills
- Increased Adult Supervision
- Increased Opportunity for Positive Reinforcement
- Increased Pre-Corrections
- Increased Focus on Possible Function of Problem Behavior
- Increased access to academic supports
Targeted interventions like these, implemented by typical school personnel, are likely to demonstrate positive effects for up to 67% of referred students.
Tier 3 Supports:
According to the Center on PBIS, there are typically 1-5% of students that may not connect with Tier 1 and 2 supports; requiring more individualized support. At Tier 3, these students receive more intensive, individualized support to improve their behavioral and academic outcomes. Tier 3 supports may include but are not limited to:
- Person Centered Planning
- District Social Worker Support
- Function Based Assessments
- Behavior Support Expertise
How are we Implementing PBIS in MUSD?
The Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI) assesses how closely school personnel apply the core features of PBIS. This year, all schools participated in three TFI assessment reviews in an effort to amplify & maintain our PBIS support systems.
End of Year Tiered Fidelity Inventory
- Tier 1: 100% of schools at the recommended 80% or higher
- Tier 2: 100% of schools at the recommended 80% or higher
- Tier 3: 88% of schools at the recommended 70% or higher
View ALL schools’ Spring PBIS Report.
District leadership teams routinely evaluate their school-wide PBIS implementation and create action plans to improve PBIS support for all students.
We are proud of our schools and their commitment to creating supportive and safe environments for our students!